Right now I’m sitting in my kitchen threatening my pressure canner. Well, I’m threatening the cheap jar flats I bought, and I’m hoping they seal. That’s what I get for buying something other than Ball lids. I canned a few quarts of potatoes today–if you’ve never done that, they taste great. I learned a few years ago when my husband went gardening nuts and planted 25 rows of potatoes. We had over 1,000 pounds that year. It was insane–just like my husband.
So, while I wait and pray that my morning’s hard work wasn’t wasted, let’s do eggplant pizzas. I love these things. Adapted from a Southern Living recipe I’ve been eating for years, this recipe is basically veggies, herbs and cheese. There’s no sauce, but you won’t miss it.
They are best right out of the oven, and the recipe called for a Boboli crust. I remember when those came out in the 90’s (it wasn’t the 80’s was it?) and they were all the rage. I guess they still make them…if not, a homemade crust or a frozen pizza dough is best with this.
Make the crust kind of thin–the veggies are piled pretty high. You can do these as one large pizza too. It’s still great.
Personal Eggplant Pizza Recipe
- 1 large eggplant peeled
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 small zucchini
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large Boboli crust 3 personal crusts or any other crust you like
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese I like fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH dried oregano basil, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper (fresh will work as well)
- Dice eggplant and next four ingredients into about 1/2 pieces. Saute in 1 tablespoon olive oil 10 minutes or until tender.
- Sprinkle with spices, salt and pepper.
- Layer onto crust and cover with cheese. Bake 425 degrees until golden, about 12 minutes or so.
So take advantage of those straggling veggies you have right now and enjoy this dish. It’s truly a seasonal favorite.
And oh wait–are those gun shots?! NO! My jars are sealing! Success!
Comfort food that's easier than herding cats.
It's possible and I'll show you how.
PLUS: Subscribe today and get my free guide to the "13 pantry staples every busy mom needs to get dinner done FAST."