I don’t know where you are in the world, but my Kentucky backyard is starting to feel like fall. I know you’ve probably noticed if you cook much–apple and pumpkin recipes are starting to crop up all over the place. This morning it was 46 degrees here and it was just perfect. Of course thanks to Kentucky weather, it will be in the mid-80’s again in the next few days but I’ll take this time to enjoy some warmer dishes, a light jacket, open windows, and the sound of tractors working to bring in that last cutting of hay.
It’s the best time of year. Except for spring. And summer. And oh—I love snow too. 🙂
I’ve had a new mac and cheese on my recipe plan for awhile. My baked macaroni and cheese is my most requested recipe and cooler weather is a great time to throw this super creamy three cheese stovetop mac and cheese version out there. This one is just as tasty, but doesn’t require baking. Just whip up the cheese sauce and mix in cooked pasta. Easy as that. Happy (almost) fall y’all!
Creamy Three Cheese Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% or whole milk
- 1/2 cup half and half or you can use more whole or 2% milk in its place
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Colby cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces cream cheese cut into cubes, 1/4 of a block
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- Add in the pasta and cook until al dente--check your box for the right time, usually about 10-12 minutes. Don't overcook it. Set aside and start the sauce.
- In a separate medium saucepan or skillet, melt the butter and add the flour. Cook on medium heat one minute until the flour browns just slightly.
- Add the milk and half and half (if using), and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Cook until thickened and starting to bubble; about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the mustard and stir to combine followed by the cheddar and Colby cheeses.
- Stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the pasta, and toss.
- Add in the cream cheese and stir until the cubes melt and the sauce is completely smooth.
- Serve hot.