Have you seen these trendy sheet pan suppers floating around the internet? I giggle–is it new to put all of your dinner on one pan and bake it? I don’t know, but I love it. It makes me feel so accomplished. My sheet pan supper roast chicken is a great place to start if you’ve never made one of these super convenient meals and you can have it ready in about 30 minutes.
The glory of these meals is that they are so versatile. Don’t like my vegetable selection? Just switch it out. Rather have a different cut of meat or chicken? It’s easy to sub in a boneless pork tenderloin, fish, or boneless skinless chicken thighs would also taste great.
Here are a few tips I learned for awesome sheet pan supper roast chicken:
1)Keep your vegetables near the same size so they cook evenly. If you have a more dense vegetable like butternut squash or potatoes, put them in with the chicken and add softer veggies like squash or zucchini after the first ten minutes.
2) I chose bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts because they come out juicy and perfect. BUT they are huge–like Dolly Parton huge–and may take longer to cook because of that. That’s also why I suggest putting them in a few minutes ahead so you don’t end up with overcooked vegetables and under done chicken. Check it’s temperature (or cut it open if you have to) and if it’s not at 160 or it’s pink at the 30 minute mark, take the vegetables off the pan and give the chicken a few more minutes.
3) Don’t use fresh herbs here. They will burn in an oven this hot. That’s no bueno.
Make this sheet pan supper roast chicken the way your family likes it best. Baste it in BBQ sauce or toss in some pesto at the end and you can do dinner even faster if you have your vegetables already chopped and ready to go in the fridge. Smart. Enjoy it everyone!
Sheet pan supper: Roast chicken and vegetables
- 3 in bone- skin-on chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 inch medium zucchini cut into 1 pieces
- 4 roma tomatoes cut into quarters
- 12 ounces baby portabello mushrooms stems removed and quartered
- 1 onion cut into quarters
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Mix the rosemary and the next three ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and coat with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Sprinkle generously with the herb mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer chicken to sheet pan and bake 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, prep your vegetables by tossing them with one tablespoon olive oil and about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- After the 10 minutes have passed, pull the sheet pan out and add the vegetables around the chicken and return to the oven to bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the chicken registers about 160 and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove skin from chicken before serving if desired.
Comfort food is right every night.
I'll show you how to blend simplicity and soothing southern flavors in a flash.
Subscribe now and get my free guide to the "13 pantry staples every busy mom needs to get dinner done FAST."