Ground chicken meatloaf is so easy–with a little planning, I had this whipped up and in the oven in about 8 minutes. Studded with basil, cheese and sun dried tomatoes, you can have dinner on the table in under 40 minutes. Add a simple salad and that’s it!
My favorite part of this entire meal was finishing off the jar of Delallo sun dried tomatoes I had left over. My love for those things is not really normal. If you have trouble finding them, I got mine in the international aisle at my local Kroger. You’ll need about 3/4 of a jar for this recipe. Then the other 1/4 of a jar for snacking. Immediately.
I also used puff pastry on the outside of the loaf–don’t be afraid of it. You’ll find it in your frozen food section near the Cool Whip and ice cream. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight (there are two in your box so take out one and wrap it well in plastic wrap then thaw it) and then just open it up and put in your chicken mixture.
Shaping your ground chicken meatloaf:
Roll it up, crimp it shut, brush it with some egg and stick ‘er in the oven.
You can do it. I promise. You could even use a pre made pie crust if you wanted to give it a try–it won’t fit as well, but it would come out okay. Then all you’ll need is a salad to go along side and dinner is done.
Freezing and make ahead tips:
You can make the chicken mixture ahead of time and wrap it well and just assemble it or freeze it for later. Just remember to thaw it in the fridge and not on the counter. As always, if you have questions about making dishes ahead or freezing them, please let me know. I’m always happy to help!
Ground chicken meatloaf
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil 1 tablespoon dried will work too
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated if possible
- 2/3 cup sun dried tomatoes drained of most of their oil and roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup Italian style or plain panko bread crumbs
- 1 square puff pastry thawed, but cold from the fridge
- 1 tablespoon egg mixed with 1 water
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Using a spoon or your hands, mix the chicken and the next 7 ingredients together in a bowl. Mix until just blended.
- Set aside.
- Lightly flour your counter and open the pastry. Using a rolling pin or a glass, gently roll the pastry about 1/2" wider in all directions.
- Place the chicken in the center and shape into a loaf.
- Roll up the pastry, crimping the seam shut. Bush all over with the egg and water mixture.
- Transfer to a foil lined, greased baking sheet and cook 30 minutes until the dough is golden and puffed and the chicken is cooked through.
Adapted from Nagi’s Chicken Wellington on Recipe Tin Eats.
Comfort food is right every night.
I'll show you how to blend simplicity and soothing southern flavors in a flash.
Subscribe now and get my free guide to the "13 pantry staples every busy mom needs to get dinner done FAST."